As some travel becomes possible and properties begin to re-open, hotels and accommodation providers will need to ensure adequate plans are created and implemented to mitigate the risks of COVID-19 and demonstrate that enhanced hygiene procedures are in place. Key to a successful preparedness strategy for hotels will be to have comprehensive procedures for preventing the virus entering their boundary, elevated hygiene standards across all operations to reduce the risk of illness and to prevent the spread of infection should an active case be identified.
Robust control measures, monitoring systems and full staff training/engagement will be required, as will open dialogue with guests, suppliers and all visitors to uphold more stringent hygiene requirements. SP’s risk assessment methodologies will focus on the following categories to ensure that best-practice standards are in place across all functions and are contributing to a robust health & safety culture, which will now require an additional focus on hygiene procedures:
- Management Responsibility
- Documented risk management system/policy/plan including the implementation of control measures and robust monitoring/review processes
- Updated & enhanced incident management protocols to incorporate full emergency planning and prevention of the spread of infection procedures
- Clear staff roles & responsibilities, in-depth training and effective resource management
- Internal & external communications to reassure all stakeholders and help them understand the health & safety requirements and the consequences of not adhering to them
- Amended arrival and departure procedures for all persons entering the hotel boundary
- Physical distancing, personal hygiene & respiratory etiquette, PPE, enhanced cleaning, reduced services and amenities and increased monitoring
- Cleaning protocol for guest rooms, public areas, all leisure facilities and hotel vehicles
- Relevant food management and auditing systems for all kitchens and strict cleaning and personal hygiene protocols for all restaurants, bars, lounges and room service
- Effective water management procedures to ensure that preventable water-borne diseases are controlled. Systematic processes for swimming pool and spa hygiene and a Legionella control plan
- Escalated procedures to increase cleaning and personal hygiene standards in back of house areas plus adequate refuse/waste management and pest control protocols
Comprehensive self-inspection risk assessment audits for hotels will be available shortly; for more information on the auditing process, the standards and pricing or to receive updates, please email email@example.com.
Once completed, the audit results will be available for all our tour operator clients to access. For a full list of our clients, please click here.
Additionally, we are working with a partner organisation to offer a certified hygiene programme. Once completed, this will enable the hotel to display an independently accredited certificate showing best practice hygiene standards relating to COVID-19.